Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Making More Messes

If anyone can make a mess, it's me. Just ask my husband. He'll tell you how he picks up after me all the time, though it seems like I'm the one doing most of the cleaning. Hmmm.
I guess I've always loved ceramics because it's messy. It gets everywhere! The clay, the dust, the slip, and I don't care. I love it! One reason I had such a hard time as a graphic designer was because I had to be clean and neat. How can I be creative if I'm neat? I can be orderly without being neat.

This week I'm back at slip casting. Four attempts: 1 failure, 2 successes, and 1 partial success. I feel happy that I am seeing some progress with this project. That it hasn't been a total waste of time. The partial failure from today resulted with draining the mold into a bucket and the mold falling apart into the bucket. Thank God I had the sense to drain into the slip bucket, otherwise it would have been bad. The slip feels like really thick cake batter and doesn't wash off easily. But it is fun and really messy. And I have learned from this: Band the #2 Mold from all angles. Set up the draining bucket with ledges or boards to hold the mold. That way I don't have to stand there holding a really heavy thing. Duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment