Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Taking Time Off

Taking time off from my artwork is one of the hardest, yet necessary things I can do for myself. So why is it so hard to do? And once I do it, why is it so hard to get back into the swing of things? I had really been burning the candle at both ends with the sculpture class, running the house and taking care of the baby all day. When I finally ran out of supplies in the studio and took a family trip to Chicago, I was forced to take a couple of weeks off from creating. Ahhh... what a relief! I was not able to work. Out of town for a few days, supplies were a good 30 minute drive away. What could I do but focus on other things. Although I felt guilty about this, there was not much I could do until I made my way to Oviedo to load up the car with more plaster, slip and casting supplies.

So it has been about 2 weeks now, maybe longer. I drove to Smalltown America and got my plaster, cleaned my studio, and I should be ready to go. Why do I feel so exhausted now? I should be well rested, inspired, etc. I guess the thought of going back out there to fail again is uninspiring. It has been months since I have worked on a mosaic. I could be ready to start a new one. But I can't abandon the plaster casting now! I have come this far... I need to continue until I get it. It isn't rocket science. I'm sure I can figure it out! Though it is some kind of science, and I never liked science.

No comments:

Post a Comment