Friday, June 25, 2010

Who Eats Beets?

I have never yet in my life had a beet... not that I can recall anyway. Who eats these things? But for some reason I found myself sketching one out a few weeks ago. I must have had a vision. So after my sketch I made my way to the market and bought a real one and then sculpted one out of clay. A large one of course. Why is it so hard for me to work small? Anyhow, I can't wait to paint it, with purple swirls coming from the root. The great thing about this sculpture, it could easily be a radish. I am excited to see these vegetables come to life! They look rather dull in the gray clay when sculpted. But once I get to the point where I can glaze them... the color will bring them alive! Ha. I sound like Dr. Frankenstein.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that thing is massive! I haven't eaten them in awhile, but I do like the taste of them in salads. :)

    ReplyDelete